Main Menu







How do I renew my own or my choir's membership?

In order to renew your membership invoice please select one of the following payment options:

Cheque made out to the Australian National Choral Association and mail to the National Office:

ANCA Administration

c/o Stockdale ACS 
3/6 Atherton Rd
Oakleigh Vic 3166


Australian National Choral Association
BSB: 034 063
A/c Number: 269 440


Follow this link and enter your invoice number:


Where do I find my invoice number?

Your invoice number will be on the automatic renewal invoice sent in March or April in the lead up to the May 31 expiry. Your invoice number will be 8 or 9 digits: the first four is the membership year, the second three or four digits make up the membership number and the final digit shows what number invoice for the year, ie, 20154858-1: renewing in 2015, member number 4585, first invoice of 2015.


I've forgotten my log in details!

To update your choir's contact detail, choir or conductor profile, apply for a new insurance policy (new policies only - Aon policy renewals mailed upon ANCA membership renewal) log in via If you have forgotten your log in details, get in touch with the office on 03 9254 1041 or Remember, your username may not be your email address - it is often your choir name or member number!


I renewed my membership more than two weeks ago and I have not heard from Aon. What went wrong?

A few options: 

Did  you reference your EFT payment with your membership or invoice number?

If your payment was not clearly referenced, your membership may not have been processed. Please check your payment can clearly be identified (remembering that some banks only show 10 digits of the reference). If you believe your payment was not clearly referenced, please get in touch and we can try to locate it. 

Does ANCA have up to date contact details for your membership?

If the Primary Contact for your choir has moved on or changed email addresses, your receipts and correspondence may not have made it to your choir.

Does Aon have up to date contact details for your insurance policy?

Aon Insurance sends policy renewals to the supplied postal address. Please ensure the details Aon has for you are up to date. You could also request an email renewal instead.

Did you apply for a new membership instead of renewing? 

If you filled in your details all over again, you may have a new membership. Please get in touch with the office so that we can cancel the new membership and notify Aon that your membership is up to date. They will get in touch with the policy renewal.

Did you send the cheque to the right address, the National Office in Oakleigh, Vic? ANCA has moved to 3/6 Atherton Rd, Oakleigh in Victoria. Please update your records accordingly. The Mt Gravatt PO Box has been cancelled in 2015 after 6 months of mail redirection.


I have paid my membership but i have not received a receipt. How can I get one?

Receipts for all membership payments are made available for download once logged in. Perhaps a different email address is set to receive correspondence - you can check and manage who receives these items once logged in, under Contacts.


How do I update my membership or public directory details on the website?

For detailed information on how to update your membership or public directory details on the ANCA website, please download the Updating ANCA Member or Public Directory Details information sheet.



What should I do if an accident happens at a choir gig?

A few quick points! - Visit our website for further information, or call Aon directly on 1800 123 266


How do I renew my/my choir's insurance with Aon?

Once your ANCA membership has been renewed, ANCA will let Aon know. Aon will send a policy renewal to your nominated address. This will be via post unless specified otherwise. Please ensure your mailing address details are kept up to date with Aon. You cannot renew your policy online, but you can request your renewal to be sent via email.


Did you send the membership cheque to the right address, the National Office in Oakleigh, Vic?

 ANCA has moved to 3/6 Atherton Rd, Oakleigh, 3166, in Victoria. Please update your records accordingly. The Mt Gravatt PO Box has been cancelled in 2015 after 6 months of mail redirection.


Can I have my Aon policy renewal emailed to me?

Yes, just request an email renewal from Aon. You can call the direct client line, 1800 123 266 to discuss the contact details of your policy or alternatively


Who is covered by our Insurance with Aon?

The Australian National Choral Association Inc (ANCA) and their

members, potential members (choirs and individuals) committees, Conductors, Music Directors and
accompanist acting as volunteers. Cover will also extend should a choir, accompanist, Conductor, Music Director receive an honorarium for service.


But will our insurance policy cover our conductor and accompanist because we pay them an Honorarium - the policy says it covers volunteers?

Aon have negotiated broader coverage, should a choir, accompanist, Conductor or Music Director receive an honorarium for service cover is extended as such payments classed as an honorary reward for voluntary services or a fee for professional services voluntarily rendered.


As an Individual member, can I get insurance from Aon?

Yes, Aon also offers insurance policies for Individual Members – perfect for conductors who are with a number of choirs, or other busy musical members who freelance or need to be covered at all times. If you do not have insurance, we recommend checking out this tailored policy with a competitive not for profit rate:



Thank you to Olga and friends at APRA AMCOS who prepared this important Q&A piece for our members.

APRA, the Australasian Performing Right Association Limited, and AMCOS, the Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society Limited, joined forces in 1997 to serve the Australian music community.


Do I need a music licence when my choir uses copyright music?

Permissions are required when a choral group uses copyright music. This permission is secured via a licence though APRA AMCOS as they represent the rights of the songwriters and composers who create and own the music.

Should you answer YES to any of the questions listed below, it is likely a licence will be required.

Do you:-

APRA AMCOS can guide you to assess your choral groups licensing needs to how to arrange permission from the publisher for use of sheet music/lyrics or to create a video recording. Once APRA AMCOS understand the way copyright music is used by your choral group they can provide you with the licence suited to that specific use.

If you have questions about music licences please contact APRA AMCOS - their contact numbers can be found on their website, or you can contact Christopher Wheeler, or  Heyland Cheung


If a piece of music is out of print can I photocopy it without infringing on copyright?

A work being out of print doesn’t necessarily mean that it is out of copyright protection. A work in Australia is protected for 70 years after the composers’ death. For as long as a work is still protected by copyright, permission still needs to be sought from the copyright owner (which is usually a publisher). Print rights specifically are usually managed by print publishers, so it’s best to contact them directly in order to ensure a quicker response.

It’s important to note that permission needs to be obtained from the publisher who owns the rights of the original version – the copyright of the work and even of any arrangements will belong to the original rights-holder for the duration of copyright protection.


Is everything in copyright?

No, although you may be surprised at how many pieces of print music in your collection are protected by copyright in some way. You must consider the possible copyright in the music, lyrics_, translation of the lyrics, arrangement, published edition and any accompanying editor's remarks. In some cases, the editing including phrasing, dynamics or expression marks may be sufficient to warrant separate copyright protection in the editing separately to the work itself.


How do I know if a piece of choral music is in copyright?

As described above, you have to check to see if any part of the musical work or edition is in copyright. If it is, you may not photocopy it, without obtaining permission from the copyright owner. If you are not sure who the copyright owner is, AMCOS may be able to help you by researching the copyright ownership and directing you to the appropriate music publisher.

Under the Australian Copyright Act (1968), music is protected from the time it is written down or recorded until 50 years after the death of the composer. The lyrics are protected separately until 50 years after the death of the lyricist. The arrangement is protected until 50 years after the death of the arranger. The published edition remains in copyright from the date of publication for 25 years. Therefore, if you had a copy of Handel's Messiah, where the published edition was printed in 1988, although the music by Handel would be out of copyright, the edition would still be protected by copyright.


How can I find copies of an unpublished choral work by an Australian composer?

The best place to start is at the Australian Music Centre. They have a choral catalogue of musical works by Australian composers, available for about $12.00. They also have an extensive library and it is well worthwhile becoming a member. As well as borrowing rights, facsimile scores are available for purchase for many works. Contact the AMC on (02) 9247 4677.


Does my choir need originals for rehearsals as well as performances?

Yes. Not only does your choir need to perform from original published editions of choral music in a public performance, but original print music should be used for all rehearsals.


Can I borrow music from another choir legally?

Only if no photocopying of the music takes place by either the lending or the borrowing choir, and that the music has not been imported from overseas. If the music has been ordered by the choir directly from overseas (not through an Australian retailer) there are restrictive provisions in the Copyright Act that would prevent the subsequent lending or making available for hire or sale of the music if it was imported for any of these purposes. Choirs need to be particularly careful not to breach these importation provisions by even lending music (free of charge) to another choir, if it has been purchased directly from overseas.


What if I have bought 20 choral sheets and there are 30 in my choir?

Unless choristers share music, or sing from memory, you will need to buy 10 additional choral sheets. You may not presume that as you had bought 20 that you are allowed to supplement these with additional photocopies.


What if I have bought 20 choral sheets and the numbers in my choir vary between 15 and 25?

You will need to buy an extra five copies, or try to obtain permission to make any additional copies, if the work or edition is in copyright.


Can I transcribe the choral lines for different voices, for example, changing an SSA piece to an SATE arrangement?

If it is just a matter of reassigning parts, without re-writing the music, there is no problem doing this. For example, if you had a piece of music scored for 3 treble parts, obviously an SSA women's choir could sing this, without having to transcribe it. If the transcription actually involves a rewriting of the work, for example, if changing an SSA piece into an SATB arrangement, this is actually a rearrangement of the work, requiring permission (assuming that the music is in copyright).


What if the key that the piece is written in is too high? Can I transpose it down?

If you have purchased a piece of music in an unsuitable key, certain music publishers agree* that it is permissible to make an exact transposition of a piece of music, it you have firstly checked to make sure that it is not commercially available in that particular key. (*See the document from AMCOS - The Fair Use of Print Music in Australia - A Practical Copyright Guide.)


Does my choir need a licence to perform choral music in public?

Yes, if you wish to perform any music that is in copyright. It is easy to obtain a licence from APRA for either a one-off concert or an annual licence.


Does an APRA licence allow the performance of musicals?

No APRA administers what is known as 'small rights' - that is, the right to perform musical works without dramatic effects, as straight concert performances. If you wish to put on a musical you will require permission from the relevant music publisher or their agent that controls the 'grand right' musical work.


If I want to make a recording of my choir, do I need any type of licence?

Yes, if any of the musical works are in copyright. You will need to contact AMCOS for a manufacture licence, even if you only intend distributing recordings without charge. The royalties payable will be calculated according to a formula based on how many copies of the recording you intend distributing, how much you intend selling the recordings for (if anything), and how many copyright tracks there are on the recording.


If I arrange a piece of music by Beethoven, do I need permission from anyone?

No. You may arrange a public domain (out of copyright) piece of music, for example a piece by Beethoven. However, if you wanted to make an arrangement of a copyright arrangement, that is, to use elements of someone else's arrangement in your own arrangement, then you would require permission from the copyright owner of the first arrangement. If your arrangement is entirely unique, then you do not need permission from anyone for this work. This of course would be different if the original work was still protected by copyright.


Can my choristers share the music, or do they have to have one choral sheet per person?

This is not a copyright question. It is up to your choral director to determine the most effective way of learning the music, though it is undoubtedly easier to read if you do not have to share the music with other choristers.


Whose responsibility is it for ensuring that there is an APRA licence in place for an eisteddfod or other music competition?

It is the responsibility of the eisteddfod organisers to apply for the relevant APRA licence. There is a special licence designed specifically for eisteddfods and other music competitions.


Are choirs allowed to make a single photocopy of the music for the adjudicator?

Under the guidelines contained in the "Fair Use of Print Music in Australia", certain music publishers agree that this is permissible in relation to th􀃡.ir own publications. You may therefore make a single copy of the music for the adjudicator if it is marked "adjudicator copy only" and is destroyed afterwards.


Is the choir's accompanist allowed to photocopy the music to keep in his or her scrap book or folder?

No, not without permission from the copyright owner of the music or edition.


If I want to make a video recording of my choir's perfor­mance, do I need any type of licence?

Yes, you may be eligible for a single event special event video licence from AM COS/ ARIA. This would entitle you to make up to 20 copies of a video of a performance (including copyright musical works) to be shown in a domestic setting (i.e. not a public screening of the video recording). If you need more than that number of videos, you would have to obtain permission from the music publishers of those works. You may contact AMCOS for assistance in the first instance.


If I want to write out the song lyrics so that the audience can sing along at a choral concert, do I need permission?

If the words are out of copyright, you do not need permission, otherwise you will need to contact the copyright owners for permission. We advise that you send AM COS a list of the songs that you intend to transcribe, including song title and composer/lyricist details and we will research the copyright in these works and direct you to the appropriate music publishers for permission. AMCOS can also advise in most cases, whether or not a song is in copyright.


I am a Community Choir director who owns a copy of a long work. I want to perform a small section of it. Is there a certain percentage of the work that I can copy legally for my choir without permission?

You will need to seek permission from the publisher to copy a work whether you are copying the whole thing or just a part of it. Some exceptions do exist in the Copyright Act but it’s important that you find out if you can rely on them before you start copying. Contact the Australian Copyright Council <> for more information.


I own a set of original sheet music. Can I make a copy of that sheet music for daily use by my choir, so that I do not lose my originals?

If the work is in copyright, you can do so only if you seek permission from the publisher that owns the copyright. The publisher may vary depending on the work. APRA AMCOS can help you find out who the relevant publisher is if you contact with details of the title and composer for the works you’d like to copy.


Can I borrow original sheet music from another choir and use it for my performance? 

Yes, as long as you are using it in its original form and not copying it without permission.


I am researching repertoire for my choir. I own a single copy of the music. Before deciding whether we will sing certain pieces in our concert, I would like to test them out with the choir. Can I legally photocopy my own music “for research/study purposes” and then order the originals when I have finalised my repertoire choice for the concert?

No; whenever you make photocopies of a work for use by your choir – whether it is for rehearsal, performance or practice purposes – you need to seek permission from the print publisher. The best option in this case if you are unsure if you’ll use the work and therefore don’t want to seek photocopy permissions, is to test the piece out on your choir by teaching them some sections of the work by ear.


I have downloaded music from or Can we copy music downloaded here without permission?

Works found at and are mainly in the public domain in the United States and Canada (the origin of the websites respectively) and in some cases can be copied without permission in Australia. But it’s important to note that the published editions on those sites might still be protected by their own copyright in Australia and you should therefore check to make sure that any sheet music you download from the sites was published more than 25 years ago. If it wasn’t, then you’ll need to seek publisher permission.


Can we perform the music downloaded from these sites without permission?

Yes, in most cases you can, but again it’s important to check that the works are in the public domain in Australia by confirming that the composer, lyricist and arranger all died before 1 January 1955.


What licences do I need to be able to perform music in public or at rehearsals?

To obtain permission to perform a work you will need to obtain a Casual Event Licence if you are charging admission. The application for this licence can be found online at 

If you are a community group however, and you are not charging admission to your event, you will need a Community Bands and Choirs licence which covers you annually for rehearsals and performances with no admission fee. The application for this licence is available online here:


We perform about 15 short pieces in a concert. To cover our costs, we charge entry by donation. Does this fit the description of not for profit? 

Yes, charging a fee for cost recovery is non-profit. But you still need to make sure you have the correct licensing in place. If you’re charging admission, even just for cost recovery, you will need a Casual Event Licence which you can apply for here:


I want to do a concert for which the proceeds go to a charity. How does this affect the performance licensing I need?

You will still need to obtain a Casual Event Licence in the same way as you would for any other event.


My choir has been asked to sing at a concert run by someone else. Do I have any responsibility for the performance licensing?

No, the responsibility for performance licensing sits with the concert or event organiser. If you are simply one of the performers, you do not need to obtain the licensing for that performance.


If I make a video of a concert, what licences are associated with the following?

Note: These answer apply no matter what portion of the work you are using. Any recognisable portion of a work requires licensing and/or permissions.


Scenario 1: The video is for the members of our choir only for their own learning and enjoyment at home.

If it’s on a DVD, you will need a Domestic Use Video licence from AMCOS, which is available here:


Scenario 2: The video has been put onto a private YouTube channel in order to share with friends and colleagues.

Even though you are sharing it just with friends and colleagues, putting a video on a public platform such as YouTube requires permission for what is called a ‘synchronisation right’ from the publisher that owns the copyright. AMCOS can help you find out who the relevant publisher is if you email work details (including composer and lyricist information) to


Scenario 3: What if we put the video onto Youtube or Facebook or our own website, as a publicly available video recording?

As above, synchronisation rights are required from the publisher, and for any website other than YouTube (such as Facebook or your website) you will also need an Online Mini Blanket Licence from APRA AMCOS, available online here:

Find a Local Choir
Become a member of ANCA Become a member of ANCA Sing Out Magazine/Advertising Advertising
Site Search

Use "Find Local Choir" above to search for choirs.

Donate to ANCA

ANCA is a registered as a Deductible Gift Recipient. Donations over $2 or more are tax deductible in Australia. To make a Donation, please pay into the following Donations Account and email with your details so that we can send you a receipt ANCA Donations BSB 034 063 A/c 269467